Our department works toward growing a more sustainable economy and creating a more vibrant, livable Hartford for residents and visitors alike. Development Services is comprised of a number of divisions which:
- Review plans, issue permits, and inspection projects in accordance with building codes and zoning regulations.
- Issue business licenses and assist with small business development.
- Respond to complaints regarding code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, and cite vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities and repair their properties.
- Work with the public to plan and permit special events.
- Manage the disposition of City-owned property.
Please contact us with questions. We look forward to serving you.
I. Charles Mathews, Acting Director
I. Charles Mathews served as Deputy Mayor in the early 1990s. He has served in senior roles at Fortune 100 companies; is a member of the Board of Directors of the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving; a former Board President of the Wilson Gray YMCA and the Hartford Stadium Authority. He received a bachelor’s degree with honor from Wesleyan University and a law degree from Cornell University.