Apply for a Liquor Permit

liquor permit.jpg

Liquor Permits are reviewed in the context of multiple scenarios in the Zoning Regulations. All liquor permits should be initiated with the State of CT Department of Consumer Protection – Liquor Control Division

In accordance the Zoning Regulations, liquor sales are defined as follows:

Beer/Wine/Liquor Sales is a use involving the sale of alcoholic liquor not to be consumed on the premises, with such sales to be made only in sealed bottles or other containers. Includes sale of beer and wine. (Section 3.3.4.C)

Drinking Places. Establishments selling alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine, and liquor for on-site consumption. (Section 3.3.5.I)

  • Drinking Places may be approved in conjunction with Eating Places with conditions
  • Establishments that combine the sale of alcoholic beverages and Entertainment Assembly must be reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Commission. 




The Department of Development Services uses the Accela portal to accept all Planning and Zoning applications. Please create an account to submit applications.

After logging on, you should be able to "Select a Record Type" for the applicable application. To view existing applications and check their status, please select "My Records".

To start a Liquor Permit Application for NEW Businesses intending Off-Site Consumption or NEW Drinking Places, please choose the “Zoning Permits” Record Group and select the “Special Permit – Beer/Wine/Liquor” Record Type.

To start a Liquor Permit Application for a Business or Drinking Place with a history of this use on the site, please choose the “General Assistance” Record Group and select the “Certificate of Nonconformance/Compliance” Record Type.

To start a NEW Liquor Permit Application for Eating Places that will add Drinking, please choose the “Zoning Permits” Record Group and select the “Principal Use/Accessory Use” Record Type.

Submit Application

**If you are not sure which option to select, email with a basic description of your project and your question(s)**



Applications must be submitted with supporting documents in order to begin the review process. If the application is not submitted by the owner of record directly, owner authorization is required for the application to be accepted. 

Costs of permits vary based upon permit type. If more than one permit is required, the cost is the total of all applicable fees. Fees must be paid at time of application.

Applicants will be notified if the submittal is deemed incomplete. Correspondence will include the list of documents or fees that are required to proceed. If outstanding documents have not been received after 65 days, the incomplete application will be denied. A new application must be submitted to continue the request.


Applicants will be notified once all supporting documents and fees have been received by intake staff. The application will then be transferred to Plan Reviewers for processing.

Review Types:

  • Administrative Reviews: Certain types are permitted "by-right". This means they are permitted in the corresponding district without conditions. Although these requests are permitted, they still require going through the plan review process as the form-based code specifics design details which must be followed.

    Applications undergoing administrative review may take up to 35 days to process, depending on the type of request.

  • Commission Reviews: The Table of Principal Uses in the Zoning Regulations may indicate that a use is permitted by special permit, which can only be granted by the Planning and Zoning Commission. Likewise, demolition requests and changes in material of properties in historic districts must be heard by the Historic Commission, and applicants seeking an exception from the Zoning Regulations must appear before the Zoning Board of Appeals. These meetings provide opportunity for the public to formally comment before a decision is made. 

Per Connecticut General Statute (state law), public hearings must be opened within 65 days of receipt of a complete application. Staff will be in contact to schedule the public hearing date.  


For commission level reviews, public noticing is required. The conditions and requirements of the public notice may vary depending on the commission that will hear the request. Staff will take care of all legal noticing. Applicants will be responsible for contacting abutting property owners and putting up public hearing signs. Public Hearing Signs are provided by the Planning Division with a $50 refundable deposit.


No decision is final until a permit or notice recorded by the Town Clerk’s Office is issued. Note that after a Commission Hearing a Notice of Decision must first be published in the newspaper. Note as well that applications are subject to appeal periods after a decision is made.

If your request is denied, you have the right to appeal. If you are a party that is aggrieved by a decision that was made you ALSO have the right to appeal. Administrative Appeals are heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals. To file for an appeal visit the “File An Appeal” page.