Apply for a Sign Permit

sign permit

Chapter 8 of the Zoning Regulations pertains to permanent and temporary signage. In accordance with 8.1.2, the chapter intends to:

  1. Balance the rights of individuals to convey their messages through signs with the right of the public to be protected against the unrestricted proliferation of signs;
  2. Protect public health, safety, and welfare;
  3. Reduce traffic and pedestrian hazards;
  4. Preserve neighborhood aesthetics, complement historic resources, and protect property values by minimizing the possible adverse effects and visual blight caused by signs;
  5. Promote economic development; and
  6. Ensure the fair and consistent enforcement of sign regulations.

The following signs are prohibited:

  • Animated or Moving Signs. 
  • Similarity to Traffic Control Signs. 
  • Vehicles as Signs. 
  • Portable or Wheeled Signs. 
  • Inflatable or Balloon Signs. 
  • Off-Site Advertising. 
  • Obscene Signs as defined by the general statutes, section 53a-193.
  • Signs with Sound. 
  • Rope Lighting. 
  • Streamers and Pennants. 



The Department of Development Services uses the Accela portal to accept all Planning and Zoning applications. Please create an account to submit applications.

After logging on, you should be able to "Select a Record Type" for the applicable application. To view existing applications and check their status, please select "My Records".

To start a NEW Sign Permit Application please choose the “Zoning Permits” Record Group and either the “Signage” or “Temporary Signage” Record Type.

To modify or extend “Signage” or “Temporary Signage” please access the current application and search for the “Renew Application” button. 

Planning & Zoning Applications Portal

**If you are not sure which option to select, email with a basic description of your project and your question(s)**



Applications must be submitted with supporting documents in order to begin the review process. If the application is not submitted by the owner of record directly, owner authorization is required for the application to be accepted. 

Costs of permits vary based upon permit type. If more than one permit is required, the cost is the total of all applicable fees. Fees must be paid at time of application.

Applicants will be notified if the submittal is deemed incomplete. Correspondence will include the list of documents or fees that are required to proceed. If outstanding documents have not been received after 65 days, the incomplete application will be denied. A new application must be submitted to continue the request.


Applicants will be notified once all supporting documents and fees have been received by intake staff. The application will then be transferred to Plan Reviewers for processing.

Review Types:

  • Administrative Reviews: Certain types are permitted "by-right". This means they are permitted in the corresponding district without conditions. Although these requests are permitted, they still require going through the plan review process as the form-based code specifics design details which must be followed.

    Applications undergoing administrative review may take up to 35 days to process, depending on the type of request.

  • Commission Reviews: The Table of Principal Uses in the Zoning Regulations may indicate that a use is permitted by special permit, which can only be granted by the Planning and Zoning Commission. Likewise, demolition requests and changes in material of properties in historic districts must be heard by the Historic Commission, and applicants seeking an exception from the Zoning Regulations must appear before the Zoning Board of Appeals. These meetings provide opportunity for the public to formally comment before a decision is made. 

Per Connecticut General Statute (state law), public hearings must be opened within 65 days of receipt of a complete application. Staff will be in contact to schedule the public hearing date.  


For commission level reviews, public noticing is required. The conditions and requirements of the public notice may vary depending on the commission that will hear the request. Staff will take care of all legal noticing. Applicants will be responsible for contacting abutting property owners and putting up public hearing signs. Public Hearing Signs are provided by the Planning Division with a $50 refundable deposit.


No decision is final until a permit or notice recorded by the Town Clerk’s Office is issued. Note that after a Commission Hearing a Notice of Decision must first be published in the newspaper. Note as well that applications are subject to appeal periods after a decision is made.

If your request is denied, you have the right to appeal. If you are a party that is aggrieved by a decision that was made you ALSO have the right to appeal. Administrative Appeals are heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals. To file for an appeal visit the “File An Appeal” page.