File an Amendment

Hartford Zoning Map

Map Amendments are a change to a parcel or parcels on the zoning map to a new zoning district.

Text Amendments are a change in the text of the Zoning Regulations. 

POCD Amendments are a change to the text of the adopted POCD.  




The Department of Development Services uses the Accela portal to accept all Planning and Zoning applications. Please create an account to submit applications.

After logging on, you should be able to "Select a Record Type" for the applicable application. To view existing applications and check their status, please select "My Records".

To file an amendment please choose the “File an Amendment” Record Group and select the applicable amendment Record Type from the dropdown list.

Planning & Zoning Application Portal

**If you are not sure which option to select, email with a basic description of your project and your question(s)**


  • An application for a proposed map amendment must include the existing and proposed zoning designation of the subject property and be accompanied by a map or maps of the subject property or properties and all contiguous street.
  • Mailed notice and posted notice are not required for zoning map amendments affecting more than 500 acres or 100 lots, or to zoning map amendments initiated by the commission or the zoning administrator.



Applications must be submitted with supporting documents in order to begin the review process. If the application is not submitted by the owner of record directly, owner authorization is required for the application to be accepted. 

Costs of permits vary based upon permit type. If more than one permit is required, the cost is the total of all applicable fees. Fees must be paid at time of application.

Applicants will be notified if the submittal is deemed incomplete. Correspondence will include the list of documents or fees that are required to proceed. If outstanding documents have not been received after 65 days, the incomplete application will be denied. A new application must be submitted to continue the request.


Applicants will be notified once all supporting documents and fees have been received by intake staff. The application will then be transferred to Plan Reviewers for processing.

Review Types:

  • Administrative Reviews: Certain types are permitted "by-right". This means they are permitted in the corresponding district without conditions. Although these requests are permitted, they still require going through the plan review process as the form-based code specifics design details which must be followed.

    Applications undergoing administrative review may take up to 35 days to process, depending on the type of request.

  • Commission Reviews: The Table of Principal Uses in the Zoning Regulations may indicate that a use is permitted by special permit, which can only be granted by the Planning and Zoning Commission. Likewise, demolition requests and changes in material of properties in historic districts must be heard by the Historic Commission, and applicants seeking an exception from the Zoning Regulations must appear before the Zoning Board of Appeals. These meetings provide opportunity for the public to formally comment before a decision is made. 

Per Connecticut General Statute (state law), public hearings must be opened within 65 days of receipt of a complete application. Staff will be in contact to schedule the public hearing date. 


  • Amendments will always require a public hearing. POCD Amendments will require Council action after Planning & Zoning makes it recommendation.
  • Following the close of the public hearing, the commission must act to approve, approve with modification, or deny the proposed amendment.
  • In making its decision on a proposed amendment, the commission must consider the plan of conservation and development and state on the record its finding on the consistency of the proposed amendment with such plan.
  • Zoning map amendments may be approved by a simple majority vote, except in the case of a valid protest petition.
  • In acting on zoning map amendments, the commission is authorized to approve a zoning classification that is the same or less intensive than the zoning classification that was described in required public notices.

For commission level reviews, public noticing is required. The conditions and requirements of the public notice may vary depending on the commission that will hear the request. Staff will take care of all legal noticing. Applicants will be responsible for contacting abutting property owners and putting up public hearing signs. Public Hearing Signs are provided by the Planning Division with a $50 refundable deposit.


No decision is final until a permit or notice recorded by the Town Clerk’s Office is issued. Note that after a Commission Hearing a Notice of Decision must first be published in the newspaper. Note as well that applications are subject to appeal periods after a decision is made.

If your request is denied, you have the right to appeal. If you are a party that is aggrieved by a decision that was made you ALSO have the right to appeal. Administrative Appeals are heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals. To file for an appeal visit the “File An Appeal” page.