Submit a Plan Review Request

Hartford Zoning Map

Within the Plan Review Application applicants can request a zoning permit, site plan review, special permit, zoning amendment, variances, and an Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Permit. 

The Planning Division will be temporarily closing its intake counter and online application system to allow for data conversion to a new system from November 15th to November 27th.

Should you have any questions in the interim, please contact




Step 1.Check if Property is in a Historic District 

Check to see if your property is within a historic district on the planning viewer by selecting the historic district layer. If the property is in a historic district apply for historic review.

Click Here to Apply for Historic Review

Step 2.Review Application Guidelines

A Plan Review Application must be submitted with supporting documents in order to begin the review process. The application must be signed by the property owner to be accepted. 

You can request for several types of reviews on the single application. Below are the review types and outline the review associated review process. 

  • Zoning Permit: Required prior to the issuance of a building permit or if no building permit is required, then at the time of a change of use or change of ownership.
  • Site Plan Review: Required for the following:
    • Any expansion of lot coverage by an amount greater than 5% of the existing size of the lot coverage. 
    • An alteration to more than 10% of the facade of a structure. 
    • New construction, including an addition to a primary structure and new accessory structures. 
    • A change from existing use to from intense to more intense.
    • Any activity increasing the parking spaces by 5 or more.
    • Any project in the OS district valued at $50,000 or more.
    • Applications triggering a sire plan review by the Inlands Wetlands Agency, pursuant to the State of Connecticut General Statutes. 
    • Any 3-D artwork larger than 100 cubic feet, valued at $50,000 or more, likely to affect a nuisance (light or sound activity increase), or potentially harmful to the environment, which is proposed to be located outdoors on public property. 
    • Any activity triggering a soil erosion and sediment control plan where such activity is not already included in another pending site or special permit application. 
  • Special Permit: A special permit is an approval given by the Planning & Zoning Commission if and when a project meets certain standards named in the zoning regulations. 
  • Zoning Amendment: This type of request is for:
    • Any amendment to the text of the zoning regulations, except in a case of reformatting or non-substantive edits to the existing text- such as change in font, changing the typeface, margins, indentations, headers, footers, or any other physical attribute exclusive of the content. 
    • Amendments to the zoning map (rezoning) which change the boundaries of the zoning districts.
  • Variances: The Zoning Board of Appeals can grant variances to provide relief to a property owner from strict compliance with the Zoning regulations. These are granted in specific cases to alleviate an unusual hardship that would result from literal enforcement of the zoning requirements. Variances are granted when the requirements of the zoning regulations render property very difficult or impossible to put to reasonable use because of some unique characteristic of the property itself. 

Step 3.Submit Online Application 

Planning & Zoning Application

Applications deemed incomplete will be put on hold and kept for a total of 60 days from the date of submission. After the 60th day, if outstanding documents have not been received, the incomplete application will be retired. A new application must be submitted to continue the request. Once all supporting documents have been received by staff, the Planning Clerk will issue you a receipt indicating that the application is complete. The application will then be submitted to Plan Reviewers for processing.

Step 4.Pay Fees 

Costs of permits vary based upon permit type. You can download a fee schedule here(PDF, 454KB). If more than one permit is required, the cost is the total of all applicable fees. Fees must be paid at time of application. 

Payment can be made either:

  • In person with credit card or a check made out to the City of Hartford. Please schedule an appointment online before coming in to the office; or
  • By mailing a check to 260 Constitution Plaza, 1st Floor, Hartford, CT 06103 ATTN: Planning Division; or
  • Online through the Self Service Permitting option, after your application has been reviewed and an Invoice Number has been provided to you. We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover. There is a 2.99% service fee for all credit card transactions. Please email with any questions regarding your online experience. 

Step 5.Application Review

Applications undergoing administrative review may take up to 35 days to process, depending on the type of request. Per Connecticut General Statute (state law), public hearings must be initiated within 65 days of receipt of a complete application. After you submit your application, staff will contact you to schedule the hearing. 

Review Types:

  • Administrative Reviews: Certain types are permitted "by-right". This means they are permitted in the corresponding district without conditions. Although these cases are permitted, they still require going through the plan review process as the form-based code specifics design details which must be followed. Planning Division Staff review these application requests and typically make a determination in under 35 days.
  • Commission Reviews: The Table of Principle Uses in the How to Guide: Plan Review and Approval(PDF, 4MB) may indicate that a use is permitted by special permit, which can only be granted by the Planning and Zoning Commission. Likewise, demolition requests and changes in material of houses in historic districts must be hear by the Historic Commission, and applicants seeking an exception from the Zoning Regulations must appear before the Zoning Board of Appeals. These meetings provide opportunity for the public to formally comment before a decision is made. 

Step 6.Public Notice

For commission level reviews, public noticing is required. The conditions and requirements of the public notice may vary depending on the commission that will hear the request. Staff will take care of legal noticing. Applicants will be responsible for contacting neighbors and putting up signage. Refer to the People's Guide to Public Hearings(PDF, 2MB) pamphlet for more information. 

Step 7.Appealing a Decision

If your request is denied, you have the right to appeal. Appeals are heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals. To file for an appeal you must: 

  1. Complete the application for appeals of administrative decisions and submit it along with the required fee. 
  2. File the appeal for administrative decisions within 15 days or earlier of the following events: Receipt of the order, requirement, or decision from which such person may appeal; the publication of a notice of decision in accordance with CT General Statutes Section 8-3 (relating to the certification of building permits); Actual or constructive notice of such order, requirement, or decision. 
  3. Attend the Zoning Board of Appeals, public hearing regarding your case. If the Zoning Board denies your appeal, you have the right to file for an additional appeal with the Hartford Superior Court. You can contact them at (860) 833-8134.