Hartford residents are now able to sign up for a Hartford City ID – a government-issued identification card that is available to all Hartford residents who can verify their identification and residency status in Hartford.
All City of Hartford residents regardless of age can get a Hartford City ID card. Applicants must apply at a CITY ID Enrollment Center. Applicants are required to present proof of identity and residency in Hartford. See Eligibility section for a list of approved documents. Your Hartford City ID card will be mailed to the address on your proof of residency document in 10-14 business days. If you do not have an address or have security concerns about having your card mailed to your home address, you can inform the application intake staff you wish to pick up your card at the Office of Community Engagement at City Hall which will be available approximately 15 business days later.
The City ID Cards are:
- Adults 18 & over .........$25.00
- Youth 17 & under........$15.00
- Seniors 65 & over........$15.00
- $15 with the return of expired ID
Cash is the only accepted form of payment
IDs are valid for a period of 2 years.
The Hartford City ID card is an accessible and secure document that enables residents to access City services and grant admission to City buildings, such as schools. In addition, the card can be presented as proof of identification for interacting with the police. Some banks and credit unions may also accept the Hartford City ID as an accepted form of primary or secondary identification for opening a banking account. You must first check with the financial institution.
To obtain a Hartford City ID Card, an applicant must establish proof of identity and proof of Hartford residency.
Presented documentation will be reviewed and returned. NO copies will be retained.
Documentation of Identity
To establish identity, an applicant shall be required to produce:
- one (1) Proof of Identity document with your photograph and Date of Birth from Primary List
- one (1) Proof of Identity from Secondary List, AND
- one (1) Proof of Address in the City of Hartford
Such documents shall be current or expired not more than five (5) years prior to the date of the application.
Provide one (1) Proof of Identity document with your photograph and Date of Birth from the following list:
- US or foreign passport
- US or foreign driver's license
- US state ID issued by any state or territory of the United States
- Consular identification card issued by a foreign government
- US military or veteran ID card
- US Homeland Security immigration case documentation
- US tribal identification card
- Foreign government issued national identity card
- US or foreign voter identification card with photo
- US permanent resident card (Green Card)
- US work permit
- US Criminal record check (AFIS) with photo
- Offender Tracking Information record issued by a US Department of Corrections
- Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) information with photo
- US educational institution identification card
- US educational institution records with photograph
- US employee Identification card
- Connecticut Department of Corrections prisoner identification card
- Connecticut Social Services agency issued identification or Affidavit (Letter, on letterhead, with a picture that is notarized
SECONDARY PROOF OF ID. Provide one (1) document from the following list:
- Social security card
- US tax payer identification number -ITIN- (card, authorization letter or number)
- US vehicle registration
- US property tax statement
- US utility bill
- US bank account or credit card statement
- US insurance bill (medical, auto, home, life, renter)
- US Medical Record with Date of Birth, Medicaid Card or DSS Benefits Information
- US employment records (W-4, W-2, 1099, I-9)
- US Pay stub
- US current residential lease or rental agreement
- US or foreign Baptism Certificate (translated into English)
- US or foreign Marriage license or Divorce decree (translated into English)
- US Income tax return (no older than 5 years)
- US educational records (transcripts and diplomas)
- US adoption records
- US emancipation petition with file stamp
- Criminal record check (AFIS) without photo
Documentation of Residency
To establish residency, an applicant shall be required to produce one (1) or more of the following documents, each of which must show the applicant's name and residential address located within the city and must be dated no more than sixty (30) days prior to the date such document is presented, except as otherwise indicated in this section.
- US utility bill (Phone, Electricity, Gas, Heating, Water or Internet)
- US Current residential rental or lease agreement
- US employment pay stub
- US bank account or credit card statement
- Hartford property tax statement dated not more than one (1) year prior to the date application is submitted
- Mortgage payment receipt for real estate property located within Hartford
- Bill for homeowner, renter, health, life or automobile insurance
- Jury summons or court order issued by a federal or state court
- Federal or state income tax or refund statement dated not more than one (1) year prior to the date of application
- Written verification issued by a homeless shelter located in Hartford confirming at least 15 days of residency
- Written verification issued by a hospital, health clinic, or social services agency located in Hartford confirming at least fifteen (15) days residency
- US vehicle registration
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY
The City of Hartford will protect the confidentiality of all City ID Card applicants to the maximum extent allowable by applicable federal and state law, and in accordance with local Municipal Code Article XXIL Sec2-935.
To apply for your Hartford City ID Card, please do the following:
- Confirm you have the correct documents to apply (see Eligibility Section). All applicants to the Hartford City ID program must provide photo identification and a document with date of birth listed.
The Enrollment Process
When you visit an enrollment center, you will begin the electronic application process and asked to submit documents proving identity and residency. Your photo will be taken for use on your card. All of your original documents will be returned to you immediately once the enrollment process is complete. Your Hartford City ID card will be mailed to the address listed on your application in 10-14 business days. If you do not have an address or have security concerns about having your card mailed to your home address, you can inform the application intake staff that you wish to pick up your card at the Office of Community Engagement, Hartford City Hall, which will be available approximately 15 business days later.
All intake is completed at HPL branch locations while the Downtown Library remains closed from extensive water damage.
To schedule an appointment or find out if walk-in service is possible, call 860-695-6300, press 4 and select a branch, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a neighborhood library: 1250 Albany Avenue, 860-695-7380; 261 Barbour Street, 860-695-7400; 30 Campfield Avenue, 860-695-7440; 7 New Park Avenue (Dwight), 860-695-7460; 603 Park Street (@ the Lyric), 860-695-7500.